Name: Hoshino Resorts Tomamu The Tower (星野リゾート トマム ザ･タワー)
Address: Shimukappu-mura, Yūfutsu-gun, Hokkaidō 079-2204
Map code: 608 511 246*30
Approx room rate per pax: 23,000 Yen
Parking rate: No charge
Free Wi-Fi access: Yes
My rating: 5/5 (Perfect score – cool weather, buffet of food options and just so resort-y. My favourite accomm.)
- Off-street parking lots; 2-minute walk away from the hotel reception
- Extremely polite service staff
- Big bottles of shampoo and body foam
- Daily housekeeping service
- In-hotel washing and drying machines – plenty of machines, situated in the laundry room mere metres from the hotel reception. 200 Yen for 30-min wash and 200 Yen for 30-min drying cycle. Gotta bring your own detergent.
- Buffet of food choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Self-contained resort.
- Beautiful mountain view
- Even more awesome above-the-clouds view – take a cable car up to the summit to catch the Unkai Terrace or Sea of Clouds.
- Free, unlimited access to a man-made beach with a wave pool, onsen and shower facilities.
- Great weather – close to 0 degree celcius up there.
- Free bus services for shuttling around the resort
- Recently renovated
- Drinking water available right from the taps in the room toilets
Room for improvement:
- Staff couldn’t quite understand our requests; language barrier
- The nearest towns, for more food, petrol or supermarkets, are at least an hour away by car.
- Hotels typically charge for parking. Parking rates may vary according to the size of your car.
- Space is a premium in Japan, so don’t expect super spacious rooms.
- All hotels we stayed at provided Febreeze or an equivalent. Thumbs up man. Good for them shoes or the carpet.
Click here for the Itinerary in Summary; details in the following articles:
- Hakodate – 2 nights / activities
- Toyako – 2 nights / activities
- Shimukappu – 3 nights [You are here] / activities
- Abashiri – 2 nights / activities
- Sapporo – 3 nights
Protip #1: Taking the wheel in Hokkaido
Protip #2: Enjoying some rest in the restroom
Protip #3: Avoiding bill shock at restaurants
Protip #4: Chilling and dropping off at convenience stores
Protip #5: Taking the Dreamliner Boeing 787