The trip from Wanaka to Franz Josef took quite a while. The drive northwards took half a day, as we took many stops – too beautiful not to. The drive towards Franz Josef will bring you past the Haast Township. Please do stop by Haast beach – untouched as far as the eye can see
So how do you pronounce Franz Josef? Here you go – France Joseph.🙂
Name: 58 On Cron Motel
Address: 58 Cron Street, Franz Josef 7952
Rate per night: $160+
My rating: 4.2 Ki out of 5 Wis (mainly because of its size and cleanliness)
- 10-15-min (or less) walk away from the main town centre – good if you like somewhere quiet
- Seconds away from the public hot pool
- Off-street parking within the compound
- One heater with heated duvets for the beds
- Pretty spacious apartment with a kitchenette (electric stove, electric kettle, clean utensils and cutlery, etc) – feels like a 5-room HDB flat
- Washing machines and dryers are available – But I can’t remember the costing
- Free Wi-Fi (limited to 100MB)
Room for improvement:
- Nearest sole supermarket Four Square is a 10-min walk away
- No welcome drink
- No free milk daily
- Single bathroom
- We are a family of four and had to choose bigger rooms to fit us all. Rooms for two would be slightly cheaper.
- I won’t talk about their television and pay TV channels (named SKY TV). Travel to watch TV? Nope, they weren’t our focus.
- The front desk and housekeeping services, like many other shops, restaurants and tourist attractions, are not available round-the-clock. Their working hours are stated clearly at the respective reception. Remember to grab your extra boxes of tissues or toilet rolls early.
- If you need help in any town, find an i-site (NZ’s visitor information centre)
Click here to return to the main content page on my trip to New Zealand.