Christchurch, Mount Cook, then Queenstown. Queenstown is about 3 hours away from Mount Cook, by car of course. Queenstown, so far, was the most town-looking town. In my definition of a town, that is. The town centre was crowded with shops, people and cars. There are many motels, some with traditional fireplaces. We stayed 3 nights in Queenstown, because there were many activities to do there.
Name: Blue Peaks Lodge
Address: 11 Sydney Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Rate per night: $220+
My rating: 3.8 Ki out of 5 Wis (mainly because of its location and size)
- 5 to 10-min walk away from the main town centre – not too close yet not too far. Just walk out of the lodge and down the street (the street’s just outside the left-hand-side of the second image above)
- 3-min walk away from Queenstown Gardens (must-go)
- Off-street parking right under the lodge
- Two heaters with heated duvets for the beds
- Extremely spacious apartment with fully equipped kitchen (electric stove, exhaust fan, electric kettle, clean utensils and cutlery, etc) – looks just like a 4-room HDB flat
- Separate bedrooms with one central toilet
- Washing machines and dryers are available, but I can’t remember how much each cycle costs
Room for improvement:
- Staff could be friendlier and warmer.
- Milk’s not provided, but the supermarket isn’t too far away
- Housekeeping completed the cleaning up later than what we expected during our stay
- Wi-Fi access is payable
- We are a family of four and had to choose bigger rooms to fit us all. Rooms for two would be slightly cheaper.
- I won’t talk about their television and pay TV channels (named SKY TV). Travel to watch TV? Nope, they weren’t our focus.
- The front desk and housekeeping services, like many other shops, restaurants and tourist attractions, are not available round-the-clock. Their working hours are stated clearly at the respective reception. Remember to grab your extra boxes of tissues or toilet rolls early.
- If you need help in any town, find an i-site (NZ’s visitor information centre)
Click here to return to the main content page on my trip to New Zealand.