Our next stop in New Zealand was Mount Cook, a four-hour non-stop drive from Christchurch. But of course, we stopped by some beautiful lakes and the Church of the Good Shepherd along the way. I love how tucked-away this alpine lodge is, right smack in the Mount Cook National Park.
Address: 101 Bowen Drive, Mount Cook, South Canterbury, 7946, New Zealand
Rate per night: $230
My rating: Ki out of 5 Wis (mainly because of the awesome view and weather up in the mountain)
- Impressive views
- Parking right under the apartment
- Four restaurants within walking distance
- Effective heaters, though a little noisy. No heated duvets for the beds
- Spacious apartment with huge beds and sofas
- Two separate bathrooms
- Clean cooking utensils and electric kettle
- Vacuum cleaner which comes in handy for your vacuum storage bags
Room for improvement:
- No supermarket in the village. There is, however, a large supermarket (Four Square) in a ‘nearby’ town, Twizel, a 45-min drive away.
- Free Wi-Fi is available. One Wi-Fi password per room. One device at a time only.
- Expensive self-service laundry service – $5 in coins for washing, $5 in coins for drying and $1 for the detergent at the reception.
- The shared kitchen is on level two (can be crowded during meal hours)
- We are a family of four and had to choose bigger rooms to fit us all. Rooms for two would be slightly cheaper.
- I won’t talk about their television and pay TV channels (named SKY TV). Travel to watch TV? Nope, they weren’t our focus.
- The front desk and housekeeping services, like many other shops, restaurants and tourist attractions, are not available round-the-clock. Their working hours are stated clearly at the respective reception. Remember to grab your extra boxes of tissues or toilet rolls early.
- If you need help in any town, find an i-site (NZ’s visitor information centre)
Click here to return to the main content page on my trip to New Zealand.