seeing stars (FAQ)

under development. I appeal to all who has questions or answers to post via the comments, and I will add it on here. Thanks.

Disclaimer: This information posted here are accurate as far as we (the contributors and I) know. We will edit any erroneous details as soon as we get wind of it. The information provided here are only valid and applicable to NTU Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information undergraduate students. Feel free to clarify certain information via the comments page. Thanks.

Contributors – Yours truly, Andrew, Jeanette, Jin, Kairu.

Q1) What’s up with the huge list of acronyms?

  • AU : Academic Units – check out NTU’s detailed explanation
  • GPA : Grade Point Average – check out NTU’s detailed explanation
  • CGPA : Cumulative Grade Point Average – GPA from all the semesters completed
  • Major PE : Major Prescribed Electives – Mostly used to describe core concentration subjects from WKWSCI itself
  • GER PE : General Education Requirements Prescribed Electives – A set of specific business (1), arts(1) and science(3) electives that we must take to graduate
  • UE : Unrestricted Electives – An enormous list of electives from the many colleges in NTU that we can choose from to help us get broad-based education
  • SU : Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory – Apart from being the name for the 4th Singapore uni, SU is a limited function for us to exercise so that the particular subject’s grade won’t count towards our CGPA.

Q2) What are the Academic Unit requirements for WKWSCI students?

  • CS students MUST complete a minimum of 144 AUs by the end of the 4-year degree programme in order to graduate.
    • Core- 60 AUs
    • Major PE – 32 AUs
    • GER-PE -15 AUs [3 AUs in GER-PE (AHSS), 9 AUs in GER-PE (STS) and 3 AUs in GER-PE (BM)]
    • GER-UE – 37 AUs

Q3) Where can I find the recommended guide on how to spread the 144 AUs over 4 years?

Q4) Where can I get more details wrt the various concentration tracks and their respective compulsory subjects?

Q5) How do I check the classification, AUs of subjects registered this semester?

  • StudentLink – Academic Matters – Degree Audit

Q6) Where do I declare minors? And what minors are available?

  • We can take a variety of minors from the various colleges in NTU. Click here to see a whole list of minors available to NTU undergraduates. Do note that CS students can’t minor in CS. *DUH!
  • We can only take 2 minors.
  • For the purpose of planning for the vacancies of minor courses to be offered in each semester, NTU requires students who (1) intend to pursue a minor or (2) are currently pursuing a minor to declare their intentiononline. Note that there is dateline for this declaration. Check your NTU email inbox regularly too.
  • After fulfilling the prerequisites of a particular minor, you will still need to file for the award online (scroll down) too.

Q7) What does exercising the S/U option actually mean?

  • Good question. I will update once I do have time.

Q8) Where are the subject registration details?

  • click here, then choose the appropriate year of study, and viola

Q9) If I exhaust my 32AUs PEs and still need more PEs to fulfil my core concentration requirements, what options do I have?

  • It is possible to classify Communication Studies (CS) modules as UEs and still use those CS modules (UEs) to fulfil your core concentration tracks.

Q10) Will classifying CS modules as UEs instead of PEs affect my future job prospects or my core concentration tracks?

  • No to both questions. If you decide to re-classify your CORE-PE to a UE, it does not really matter because, at the end of the day, a) you can still graduate b) although it appears on yr transcript as a UE, the employer or future grad school wouldn’t really care because you still have taken a course and got a grade for the concentration you have selected

Q11) Can I take both COM204 and COM205 in a semester?

  • You can, if you think you can handle it. Just make sure that you add the appropriate courses during the subject registration period.

Q12) Personalised registration date and time?

  • The email you receive from regn_course just before subject registration informs students about the course content for the upcoming semester and the registration time and time for the different batches of students. However, in the email, it is stated that you have to wait for the personalised date and time of registration to be confirmed first.
  • This is to account for students who overload, and thus fulfil the AU requirements to be ‘promoted’. For example, a Year 2 student can submit STARS during a Year 3 timeslot if that student fulfils a certain requirement. Simply put, the number of AUs you fulfil decides which ‘year of study’ you are ‘in’
  • You are a Year 2 if you have 30AUs
  • You are a Year 3 if you have 60AUs
  • You are a Year 4 if you have 88AUs

Q13) Which modules are available during Semester 1?

  • COM201
  • COM203
  • COM207
  • ——–
  • COM228 (Nikki Draper)
  • COM230 (Bradley Freeman)
  • COM251 (Xu Xiaoge/Javed Nazir)
  • COM252 (Brenda Chan)
  • COM253 (Stephen Teo)
  • COM257 (Marko Skoric)
  • ——–
  • COM401
  • COM402
  • ——–
  • COM411 News Copy Editing (Journ PE)
  • COM415 News Writing and Editing in Chinese
  • COM417 Specialised Journ: Public Affairs
  • COM418 Specialised Journ: Business & Econs
  • COM422 Photojournalism
  • COM424 Writing for Cinema and TV (BCS PE)
  • COM426 Docu Film: Concepts and Applications
  • COM427 Narrative Film: Concepts and Applications
  • COM428 PR Writing (PR PE)
  • COM429 Advtg and Copywriting (AD PE)
  • COM436 Stats and Data Analysis
  • COM437 Audience Research Methods
  • COM441 Specialised Journ: Science & Tech
  • COM453 Popular Cinema

Q14) Which modules are available during Semester 2?

  • COM202
  • COM208
  • ——–
  • COM222 (Xu Xiaoge)
  • COM224 (Fernando Paragas, you see it in Sem 1 too but I think it’s only open to the IEM students)
  • COM226 (new person, Diana Ser was supposed to take this last year)
  • COM227 (Nikki Draper)
  • COM254 (Jung Younbo)
  • COM256 (Shirley Ho, but not seen this year)
  • ——–
  • COM403 (PI)
  • COM404 (FYP)
  • ——–
  • COM420 Magazine Publishing
  • COM423 Advanced Photojourn
  • COM429 Advtg and Copywriting
  • COM455 TV Studies
  • COM458 Intercultural Communication
  • COM459 Public Opinion
  • COM464 International PR

Q15) Which modules are available for both semesters?

  • COM204
  • COM205
  • COM206
  • ——–
  • COM221 (Hedwig)
  • COM223 (Chris Yaw)
  • COM225 (Kym Campbell)
  • COM229 (Trisha Lin)
  • COM231 (Tim Clark)
  • COM232 (KC Yeoh)
  • COM255 (Mathew Yap)
  • COM258 (Lee Chun Wah)

Q16) What happens if I am stuck with 143 AUs after registering for Year 4 Semester 2?

  • If you have only 1 AU left to complete your 144 AUs, you can register for 2/3/4 AU module without applying for overloading (during the registration period of course)






2 thoughts on “seeing stars (FAQ)

  1. Nikki says:
    5 December 2009 at 10:35 am (Edit)
    00 Rate This
    I don’t mean to freak anybody out, but I stumbled on this and think it’s fantastic. I wanted to add something because I see a lot of confusion about this when I’m advising students going on exchange: the recommended distribution of courses across 4 years is just that: recommended. You are not required to follow it. You have flexibility with reqards to when and how many UEs, PEs and GER-PEs you take per sem. Less so with the core courses, but there’s still some. For example, a student who was only interested in photojourn courses in JP waited and took 204, a lower division core, in Sem 2 year 4.

    Likewise the list of courses by concentration. It’s recommended, but not required. The registration system and your degree audit don’t know what track you are in.

    Your degree audit only keeps track of the total number of PEs (or other AU types) you have. The system doesn’t care where those PEs come from or whether or not the courses are your track or not (upper division, lower division, JP, BCS, CR). The system only tracks the absolute number of PEs you take. If something is a PE and a pre-req for another course, then the system keeps track of the pre-reqs, but outside of that, you are pretty much free to do things as you want. This flexibility is built into the system on purpose: we wanted students to have the freedom to structure their degree in ways that are meaningful to you.

    So, what does that mean for you in practical terms? Well,if you are year 4 and need a PE but don’t like or don’t want to take one in your track, you can take any other PE offered in the school, a lower division PE, a PE in a different track, etc. and it will count towards your degree audit.

    If you are year 1/2/3, what this means for you is that you are free to structure your course load in any way that interests you as long as you satisfy the total number of credit types needed and take any pre-reqs required for other courses you want. Your degree is a Bachelor of Arts in Communication. It does not reflect your division.

    Let me repeat that: your degree does not say anything about JP, CR, PPC, BCS or Interdisciplinary. It simply says Bachelor of Arts, Communication.

    The courses by concentration shows you one way to structure your courses and is useful if you want to study deeply in a particular area. But you don’t have to strictly stick to it.

    Good luck!

    Nikki Draper

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s